As I was driving up to Blair, the sky was getting more and more overcast – darn.   This was not what we were hoping for with a decent thermal index up to about 6500ft.  Luckily, after arriving at the airport, the showers north of the field moved off to the east allowing the sun to come back –we might still have some soaring!  The tow plane was out and three Russia’s and the Jantar were being readied for flight.   Jaime was the tow pilot, Jerry Adams was staged to be the first launch in his Russia.  Bob Dyer had just finished assembling his Russia, Mike Boska had his Russia ready and Jay Buchanan was getting the Jantar ready to fly.  I decided why have three Russia’s on the field when you could have four, so I got mine out.  Steve Stevens was the SOF and Bob Arant was helping along with Bert Aagesen.

Jerry was the first tow followed by Mike Boska.  Jay Buchanan was next in the Jantar, followed by Bob Dyer.  All were finding lift.  I launched next in my Russia.  Jerry landed and took a second tow so at one time all the gliders were up.  Mike had the longest flight of the day of two hours and 19 minutes, which should be enough time for the Bronze badge (2 hour flight from a 3000ft tow).  Bob Dyer, who I got to circle with in several thermals and watched him perform several wing overs,  took his Russia to the Elkhorn river.  Jay landed after one hour to allow Bert to have the Jantar.  Bert hearing that Bob Dyer went to Elkhorn River decided to one up him by taking the Jantar to Fremont and back.  He landed after a one hour and 20 minutes.  I flew around the Bennington – Kennard triangle, reaching about 6400ft in the strongest thermals and landed after one hour and 57 minutes.

So it turned out to be a very good day.  The only regret was that we didn’t get a picture of all four Russia’s staged along the runway.

Many thanks to Jaime Alexander for towing all seven flights, Steve Stevens for manning the books, and Bob Arant for assisting with launching and putting the gliders away.

Bob Craig